Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Disappointment and "Life Goes On"

Home of Tadpoles and Turtles, oil on board, 16" x 20"

Today I received the notice that my painting didn't get juried into the Oil Painters of America national show. And, while it's disappointing, it won't stop me from working to improve and entering shows. When a painting doesn't get into a show, I allow myself a couple of days to feel bad about it, even question whether I should ever paint again, and then get back to work. Picking up the brush and painting is the best therapy for disappointment.

It's important to remember that just because a painting doesn't get into a show doesn't mean it was poorly painted. There are millions of reasons why a painting does or doesn't get in. Think about the times you've looked at the "winners" of a show and questioned the judge's sanity in choosing those paintings. I've heard one judge comment that on a different day, he probably would have chosen completely different paintings.

Finally, I know it's petty but I feel better when I read that other artists who are amazing painters didn't get into the show. Not saying I'm amazing but feel like I'm in good company.

....Oh, and I still get brownie points for trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment